HBO Max is among the most popular over-the-top streaming services in the United States. It contains many engaging contents from different production houses and also produces their own.
Although the platform gives a smooth watching experience, sometimes users face different problems viewing the content. One of the most common ones is the screen goes black while watching any show or movie.
If you’re among those users who encounter the problem, you’re at the right place. Here, I’ll help you learn how to fix the HBO Max black screen problem effortlessly.
How To Fix HBO Max Black Screen?
There can be multiple reasons behind the HBO Max black screen problem, like slow internet speed or temporary bugs and glitches. Whatever the reason, you need to identify and fix it to start watching the content again like before.
But before you do that, check out if HBO Max’s servers are down or not. You can visit websites like Downdetector, which includes the server status of all popular websites, and you can indeed find HBO Max there.
If the servers are up and working smoothly, you can start following the fixes below one by one.
1. Sign Out & Re-Login To Your Account
The first method to fix HBO Max black screen issue is to sign out of your account and re-login into it. It may sound ridiculous as it doesn’t have any technical explanation, but it works for many users.
These are the steps to do so:
- Open HBO Max on your device, and click on the Profile.
- Then, you need to select Settings from the available options.
- After that, scroll down to the bottom and tap on Sign Out.
- Now, wait some time and re-login to your account using your credentials.
2. Check Your Internet Connectivity
Poor and unstable internet connectivity can cause various problems, including the HBO Max black screen. You should use tools like Fast.com that display every information about your internet to get an idea.
If it’s not up to the mark, you can restart your router, contact your internet service provider for better coverage, or upgrade your plan for higher speed.
3. Clear HBO Max App’s Data On Android
Another possible reason behind the HBO Max black screen is the corrupted app data. So, clearing the app’s data and re-login to your account is always a good idea.
If you don’t know how to do that, follow these steps below:
- First, open Settings on your Android device.
- Then, you need to click on the Apps.
- After that, locate the HBO Max app in the installed apps list.
- Then, you need to click on the Storage Usage option.
- Finally, tap on Clear Data to remove all the corrupted residue files.
4. Update HBO Max App
With each update, HBO Max fixes minor bugs in the app. So, to fix the HBO Max black screen issue, you can check for any new updates and, if available, install that instantly.
- Open Google Play Store.
- Then, you need to click on your Profile Photo in the upper right corner.
- After that, select the Manage apps & device options.
- Then, it’ll show the total number of available updates; click that.
- You’ll find the HBO Max app there if a new version is available. So tap on the Update button to start installing it.
- Open the App Store on your iPhone.
- Then, you need to go to your profile.
- After that, locate the HBO Max app and click the Update button beside it.
5. Turn Off The VPN
HBO Max isn’t available in all countries, so if you’re currently using a VPN and connected to one of those geo-locations where it’s unavailable, you won’t be able to access it properly. And for obvious reasons, you’ll face various problems, including the HBO Max black screen issue. So, it’ll be worth trying to disable the VPN and play any show on HBO Max. Also, check out Best Free VPN For School WiFi in 2023
6. Power Cycle Your TV
If you’re using HBO Max on your Smart TV and facing the black screen issue, a simple power cycle might solve the problem.
- First, turn off your TV and unplug the socket’s power cable.
- Then, you need to press and hold the power button on your TV remote for 15-20 seconds.
- Now, it’ll be better to wait for around 15 minutes.
- Finally, connect the cable again and turn it on.
7. Report The Issue To HBO Max
If any of the above solutions don’t work for you, then as a last fix, you should report the error to HBO Max.
You can navigate to the help page of HBO Max and share your concern with customer support by selecting the appropriate options there. It’ll also ask you to share your details, which device you use to access HBO Max, etc. Also, check out Activate HBO Max with 6-Digit Code at activate.hbomax.com
So, these were the working ways to fix HBO Max black screen issue. Hopefully, you have successfully eliminated the problem. If you still have any queries, feel free to drop in the comments below.