Recording your screen on a computer based on macOS can be incredibly useful for creating tutorials, capturing gameplay, or showcasing software demonstrations. In this article, we will explore five different methods of how to record your screen on Mac, including the benefits of using each option.
Ways to Record a Screen on Mac
1. QuickTime Player [Built-in Option]
All Mac devices like MacBook Pro, iPhone, or iPad come with a built-in screen recording feature through QuickTime Player. This is one of the simplest ways for recording your Mac screen.
Convenience: QuickTime Player is already installed on your Mac, so you don’t need to download or install any additional software.
Ease of use: The interface is straightforward, allowing you to start recording your screen with just a few clicks.
Audio recording: the player lets you record both your screen and audio simultaneously, which is ideal for creating tutorials or narrated video clips.
Basic editing: Once you finish recording, you can perform simple edits, such as trimming the video or adjusting the audio levels.
Steps to record your screen in QuickTime Player:
- Launch QuickTime Player
- Click “File” and select “New Screen Recording”
- In the appeared window, click on the round red record button to start the session
- Choose whether to record the full screen or select a specific area
- Click on the “Stop” button or press ”Command + Control + Esc” combination to finish recording
- Once stopped, you can save the recording to your desired location
2. OBS Studio [Free Option]
OBS Studio (Open Broadcaster Software) is a powerful, free, and open-source screen recording and streaming software that works well on Mac. It’s widely used by streamers for recording and streaming their gaming sessions, creating how-to videos, and much more.
Customizable settings: OBS Studio offers advanced settings for fine-tuning your recording options, including various video and audio codecs, frame rates, and output formats
Multiple sources: You can capture your entire screen or select specific windows, add webcam footage, and include overlays or text
Live streaming: OBS Studio supports live streaming to Twitch, YouTube, and Facebook, making it a versatile option for content creators
Steps to record your screen in OBS Studio:
- Download and install OBS Studio from the official website
- Launch OBS Studio and select the “+” icon under the “Sources” section to add a display capture source
- Select the display to record from the drop-down menu
- Click on “Start Recording” in the controls section to begin the recording process
- Click on the “Stop Recording” button to finish
3. ApowerREC [Free Option]
ApowerREC is a free screen recording tool that offers a range of features for capturing your Mac screen. You can record gameplay, Skype calls, streaming video, webinars, and more.
Versatile recording options: capture your entire screen, a specific area, or even a single window. This versatility enables you to tailor your recordings to your specific needs
Annotation tools: use text boxes, arrows, shapes, and highlights to emphasize important information during the recording
Multiple audio sources: you can record not only system sound but also your voice from the microphone or external device audio simultaneously
Scheduled recording: create tasks and set a specific time and date to schedule screen recordings in advance. The recording will start automatically without manual intervention
Steps to record your screen in ApowerREC:
- Download and install ApowerREC from the official website
- Launch the application and adjust the recording settings, such as recording area and audio input source
- Click on the red record button to start
- You can pause or resume the recording using the on-screen controls
- To end the recording, click the stop button, and the recorded video will be saved automatically
4. ScreenFlow [Paid Option]
ScreenFlow is a premium screen recording and video editing software for Mac. It is used by professionals and hobbyists alike to capture and share their screen activity with others.
Recording options: You can record your entire screen, specific windows, or just a portion of the screen. It also supports recording from external devices such as cameras or microphones
Great editing tools: ScreenFlow offers a wide range of video and audio editing capabilities, including transitions, annotations, animations, and multi-channel audio mixing
Export flexibility: ScreenFlow allows you to export your recordings in various formats suitable for different platforms or devices
Steps to record your screen in ScreenFlow:
- Download and install ScreenFlow from the official website
- Launch ScreenFlow and click on the red record button in the toolbar.
- Choose the recording options, such as recording the entire screen or a specific portion
- Click on the record button again to start recording
- To stop, click on the stop button in the menu bar or press ”Command + Shift + 2”
5. ActivePresenter [Paid Option]
ActivePresenter is a comprehensive screen recording and e-learning authoring tool. It helps users create engaging e-learning materials such as interactive videos, presentations, and assessments quickly and easily.
Advanced editing features: ActivePresenter provides a comprehensive set of editing features, including cut, crop, merge, blur, green screen, and audio enhancement
Webcam and picture-in-picture: include a video feed of yourself during the screen recording and create picture-in-picture effects by overlaying your webcam footage on the main recording
SCORM Compliance: the tool is SCORM-compliant, making it suitable for creating content for learning management systems (LMS)
Steps to record your screen in ActivePresenter:
- Download and install ActivePresenter from the official website
- Launch ActivePresenter and click on the “Record Video” button on the start page
- Select the recording area and adjust the audio settings
- Click the record button to record the screen
- Click on the stop button in the floating toolbar to finish the session
We hope that this article has helped you find the right tool for recording your Mac screen. No matter your budget or needs, there are many great paid and free screen recording tools available. Some of them come with advanced features and interactive elements, while some are simple yet powerful. Whichever tool you choose, make sure that it meets your specific requirements.
Author Bio: Ron Stefanski is a college professor who has gained numerous successes as an online business owner. His websites, OneHourProfessor.com and other online platforms, have enabled hundreds of thousands of people to create powerful online businesses through his knowledge and expertise. He continues to empower others to discover their entrepreneurial potential by offering practical advice on how to start and manage their own business.